SLAC supports an atmosphere of free intellectual exchange and collaboration within the international scientific and technical community. Visitors from around the world perform a vital role in sustaining the creative environment and contribute to achieving SLAC's mission. As a Department of Energy (DOE) facility, SLAC is required to comply with the Unclassified Foreign Visits and Assignments program, DOE Order 142.3A.
Beginning Feb. 1, 2019, the Department of Energy (DOE) requires that all foreign nationals (non-U.S. citizens) looking to conduct work on-site or remote at SLAC must provide their curriculum vitae (CV).
- The CV must chronologically list all academic institutions and work positions, including science and technology activities and specialties, with no gaps in time since college (Associates/Bachelors or equivalent).
- CVs should not contain social security or passport number or any other personal identifying information.
- CVs will be uploaded to the DOE’s Foreign Access Central Tracking System (FACTS). By submitting this information, you consent to SLAC providing this information to the DOE.
- Please also indicate immigration status and be prepared to provide a printed copy of the CV and all required immigration documents (green card, passport, etc.) upon arrival at SLAC.
Prior to Planning Travel to SLAC – New Requirements
Additional steps must be completed prior to arrival for foreign nationals from certain countries.
- Foreign nationals who are not US citizens and were born in, are citizens of, or represent or have ongoing affiliations with Iran, Cuba, North Korea and Syria must provide additional information, including a strong justification, to be considered for access to SLAC. Advance federal review and approval is required before individuals are permitted access to the Laboratory (including remote IT access; this process can take longer than 12 months.
- Foreign nationals who are not US citizens and were born in, are citizens of, or represent or have ongoing affiliations with certain other countries may have requirements for advance approval depending on the nature of the work or visit to SLAC. For these countries, advanced approval is not required if you are only attending a public tour or a public event.
Please ask your SLAC point of contact and work with the International Services Office for more information before making arrangements to travel to SLAC.
Arrival and Check-in at SLAC – New Requirements
- Admittance onto site must take place during weekday business hours Monday to Friday between 7 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Evening and weekend check-in is no longer available.
- Due to the new requirements, time to complete processing upon arrival will take longer. You are strongly encouraged to plan for a minimum of four hours processing time before being permitted access to destination onsite or for beamtime. Providing complete information to your host in advance and having all required documents on hand will reduce the chance of additional delays.
- Non-US citizens must bring their valid original passport and applicable visa with all immigration documentation supporting the visa status and/or renewals.
- Provide a printed copy of their curriculum vitae (CV) chronologically listing all academic institutions and work positions, including science and technology activities and specialties, with no gaps in time since college (Associates/Bachelors or equivalent).
Please click on the link below to view a list of documents you must bring depending on your visa type.
Foreign Visitors: Documents Required for Check-in at SLAC »